Special Police Officer Academy
Serve and Protect Your Community!
Maryland Special Police Officer applicant mandatory training in the 61 state mandated training in such topics as: Use of force and de-escalation, CPR/First Aid, arrest/criminal process, active shooter/incident protocols, note taking and reports
Course Details and Schedule
Upon successful completion, and 100% attendance, the SPO candidate will receive a Certificate of Completion that is required when applying for a commission.
Basic Special Police Office (SPO) Academy
This academy will begin online with a limited amount of in-person instruction for skills training and qualification. The in-person training will be conducted at the Montgomery College Rockville Campus, to serve the Baltimore- Washington market.
- Course# PST004
- CRN# 40893
- Hours: 88 (eleven 8-hour sessions)
- Course Dates: May 6 - May 19, 2023
- Schedule: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. A combination of Online and Face to Face classes as indicated
- Week One:
- In-person, May 6, 2023 (Saturday)
- Week Two:
- Online, May 8 - May 9, 2023 (Monday & Tuesday)
- In-person, May 10, 2023 (Wednesday)
- Online, May 11 - May 12, 2023 Thursday & Friday)
- Week Three:
- Online, May 15, 2023 (Monday)
- In-person, May 16 - May 17, 2023 (Tuesday & Wednesday)
- Online, May 18, 2023 (Thursday)
- In-person, May 19, 2023 (Friday)
- Investment: $450 tuition + $400 fee = $850.Non-MD residents add $400
- Week One:
- Online classes meet live online during the designated times via Zoom.
- Online Registration: You must have a Montgomery College student account. This gives you access to the MyMC portal for online registration. You may view our WDCE Web Registration page to get information about creating an account where you will find step by step directions with pictures to help guide you through the process as either a new student or returning student.
- Fax your WDCE registration form (PDF, ) to 240-683-6945. To confirm receipt of your registration, please contact Student Services at 240-567-5188.
- Register In-Person. Locations and hours of operation information: Workforce Development and Continuing Education Locations | Montgomery College, Maryland
- Review all WDCE Registration Information, Options, and Policies.
Please note: Payment is due at the time of registration. Students who register without payment would be removed from the class without notice.
Upon completion, the SPO candidate will receive a Certificate of Completion that is required when applying for a commission. This course will help to ensure that the following businesses and governmental units have candidates with the required training and skills to achieve their commission, while gaining the confidence to protect business guests and assets:
- Colleges and universities
- K-12 school systems
- Court system employees
- Retail establishments, restaurants
- Hospitals and healthcare facilities