Special Police Officer Academy
Serve and Protect Your Community!
Course Details and Schedule
The next Basic Special Police Officer Academy is being planned. To receive information about when the program will be offered next, complete the Special Police Officer (SPO) Interest Indicator Form.
Effective October 1, 2020, every applicant for a Maryland Special Police Officer commission must receive 80 hours of training based on 61 state-mandated Objectives (Maryland HB1111). MC is utilizing the expertise of law enforcement and public safety instructors to prepare the SPO candidate for required job-related skills that include:
- Constitutional and Criminal Law
- De-escalation techniques
- CPR / first aid
- Rules of arrest and criminal process
- Active shooter, incident command
- Note taking and report procedures
- Course# PST001, CRN# TBD
- Hours: 64
- Investment: $3:00 tuition + $297 fee = $597.
- Non-MD residents add $250
- Course# PST002, CRN# TBD
- Hours: 16
- Investment: $100 tuition + $98 fee = $198.
- Non-MD residents add $120
Upon completion, the SPO candidate will receive a Certificate of Completion that is required when applying for a commission. This course will help to ensure that the following businesses and governmental units have candidates with the required training and skills to achieve their commission, while gaining the confidence to protect business guests and assets:
- Colleges and universities
- K-12 school systems
- Court system employees
- Retail establishments, restaurants
- Hospitals and healthcare facilities