Transportation and Public Safety
Delivering the best in transportation and public safety education, certification and licensure preparation for our community!
Montgomery College offers a range of programs designed with safety at the forefront. Whether you are looking for a state vehicle license or have an interest in public safety, we are local leaders in providing the best training.
- All courses and subsequent testing are conducted in English only; no translations are allowed.
- Current offerings can be viewed on the WDCE at a Glance Course Schedules under Transportation Safety
Montgomery College's 36 hour Driver Education Course available for all students
Montgomery College's 36 hour Driver Education Course, is approved by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration and consists of the required 30 hours of classroom instruction and 6 hours Behind the Wheel. Our classroom includes learner-centered instruction, inclusive to accommodate students with mild learning disabilities, and is limited to 18 students per course. Behind the Wheel is one-on-one instruction with a certified driving Instructor. Successful completion of this driver education course is one of the requirements for obtaining a Maryland driver's license.
We also offer Driver’s Education with Additional Support to accommodate all students.
Beginner and Advanced courses available for 'M' license endorsement
Montgomery College offers Motorcycle Safety courses for students looking to add the ‘M’ endorsement to a driver’s license with beginner courses (BRC) and advanced courses (BRC2-LW) available. All motorcycle courses are developed by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) and recognized and approved by the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA).
A "CDL" is a Commercial Driver’s License. It meets standards that are the same for every state. It differs from the Maryland "operator's" or "chauffeur's" licenses. It is required if you drive combination vehicles (Class A), heavy straight vehicles (Class B) or small vehicles (Class C).
To Register for Montgomery College Safety Training Classes, visit: Chesapeake Region Safety Council (CRSC)new window
Montgomery College, in association with the Chesapeake Region Safety Council and the Mid Atlantic OTI Education Center, we are pleased to offer trainer courses in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry.
- OSHA 501, Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry, SFT081 (January 21-24, 2020)
- Principles of Occupational Safety and Health, SFT073 (February 10 -14, 2020)
- National Safety Council's 4-Hour Defensive Driving Course, SFT102 (February 12, 2020)
- OSHA 510, Occupational Safety and Health Standards for the Construction Industry, SFT072 (March 2-5, 2020)
- Alive at 25, SFT104 (March 25, 2020)
- Safety Management Techniques, SFT099 ( April 20 -24, 2020)
- National Safety Council's 4-Hour Defensive Driving Course, SFT102 ( April 22, 2020)
- OSHA 6005, Collateral Duty for Other Federal Agencies (May 11-14, 2020)
- Alive at 25, SFT104 ( May 20, 2020)
- Fundamentals of Risk Management Certificate (June 22-26, 2020)
- National Safety Council-First Aid, CPR, AED Instructor Course (July 6-8, 2020)
- National Safety Council-Emergency Preparedness Train the Trainer Course (July 9-10, 2020)
- Safety Training Methods, SFT091 (August 3-7, 2020)
- OSHA 511, Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry, SFT082 (September 14-17, 2020)
- National Safety Council-First Aid, CPR, AED Instructor Course (October 5-7, 2020)
- POSH-Principles of Occupational Safety and Health, SFT073 (November 16-20, 2020)
- OSHA 501, Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry,
SFT081 (December 7-10)
So you want to fly an airplane? Get an exciting introductory experience with your feet on the ground. Whether looking for a hobby or looking for a job, find out what it takes to become a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certified Private Pilot. The five hour introduction to Aviation includes classroom and a visit to a local airport.
Upcoming Course Details:
- Course: SFT086, CRN# TBA
- Dates: TBA
- Meeting Times: TBA
- Location: Classroom (TBA) and Airport
- Investment: $25 + $24 = $49
Get information on the Aviation Flyer (PDF, ) .
Contact Program Director, Sharon Maxwell, for further information at email@example.com.
Serve and protect your community! This program has two parts – classroom and hands on. Students will complete both parts to receive a certificate of completion.
Learn more about the Basic Special Police Officer Academynew window
Customized Contract Training
Some of the Transportation Safety Courses are also available as Customized Contract Training. Contact Program Director, Sharon Maxwell, for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 240-567-2589.
Below you will find a listing of helpful Transportation Safety resources.
Maryland Motor Vehicle Administrationnew window
Maryland MVA Motorcycle Safety Programnew window
REAL ID Compliance needed by May 3, 2023new window
WDCE Brochure (PDF, )
Notice: Due to COVID19 there have been some modifications to the schedule. For more information visit Schedule Updates.