911 Dispatch Academy
911 Dispatch Academy, SFT087 (60 hours)
For information on the next 911 Dispatch Academy session please contact us.
$800 + $170 fee = $970. Non-Maryland residents add $400.
Are you patient and calm during a crisis?
Are you able to multi-task with computers?
If so, then a career in emergency telecommunications may be for you!
911 Dispatch Academy Information Session:
- When: Tuesday July 16th
- Where: Gaithersburg Business Training Center, 12 South Summit Ave., Gaithersburg, MD 20877. Room 402/402
- Time: 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Register for Information session: Email Sharon.Maxwell@montgomerycollege.edu
Please join us to learn about the program from subject experts Bill Ferretti, Director, 9-1-1 ECC, Department of Police and Instructor Jennifer Wack, retired from Montgomery Count's 9-1-1 Dispatch after 30 years of service.
911 Dispatch Academy
In an emergency, the first people to answer a 911 call for help are Emergency Dispatchers. Seconds after receiving an emergency call, these well-trained, highly professional individuals react to send the appropriate type and number of emergency services units in response to calls for assistance. Emergency Dispatchers work in a variety of settings, ranging from police and fire stations to hospitals or centralized communications centers. Communication skills and the ability to work under pressure are important personal qualities for dispatchers.
This first course will enable the student to recognize the need for fire, medical or police responses to 911 calls. The student will learn the role the 911 Telecommunicator plays in applying the principles, practices and standards of care when servicing 911 calls as well as learning the roles and responsibilities of the 911 emergency call taker. Included in this course is preparation for the Basic Emergency Telecommunicator Certification (ETC) and Exam. The exam is taken on the last day of the third week of class.
- This 60 hour Academy includes topics such as:
- The Basic Emergency Telecommunicator Course and Exam
- Suicide Caller/Intervention Techniques/Stress Management
- Domestic Violence/Excited Delirium
- Customer Service for 911 Professionals/Skills & Abilities Required Active Assailant (Shooter)
This program is in direct response to law enforcement agencies’ need for qualified, job-ready applicants in the 911 Communications Center.
Contact Program Director, Sharon Maxwell, for further information at email@example.com, phone 240-567-2589.