Our curriculum is well suited to students holding a bachelor’s degree from a four-year institution who wish to increase their knowledge and skills in accounting. Whether you intend to qualify to sit for the Uniform C.P.A. exam in Maryland or the surrounding areas or pursue employment opportunities in corporate for-profit or nonprofit or government agency or regulatory accounting, the accounting certificate provides a foundation for you to pursue your preferred career pathway. Through one-on-one advising, our experienced faculty help you plan a course of study based upon your goals.
Classes are scheduled to meet the demands of working students, with most courses offered in live remote or distance learning formats. Class sizes are small, and our accomplished faculty bring years of both academic and practical work experience to the classroom.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Identify, measure, record, and communicate financial information relating to an organization.
- Interpret, analyze, and evaluate financial information relating to an organization.
- Meet the qualifications for Federal government accounting programs and upgrade professional competence.
Explore the following Accounting Career Pathways to learn about what academic preparation (certificate, associate's, bachelor’s, or master's degree) is required for various jobs in accounting. Montgomery College can help you start your journey with our accounting certificate or associate of arts in business!
- Public Accounting Pathway (CPA) (PDF, )
- Corporate Accounting Pathway (PDF, )
- Government Accounting Pathway (PDF, )
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans. The program advising guide outlines the certificate requirements and is meant to supplement the advising process.
- Accounting Certificate Advising Guide (PDF, )
- Accounting Certificate Advising for Career Pathways (PDF, )
- Find a Program Advisor
For some positions listed, a bachelor's degree or higher may be required. Use the Career and Program Explorer to see a full report for this career field. See links below chart for further guidance and/or connect with a Program Advisor to discuss career goals.
- MC Student Employment Services: Speak with the Student Employment Specialist for help with resume writing, interviewing, setting up a College Central Network (CCN)new window account and other job search topics.
- Career Coach: Explore Career Coach to learn more about this career and/or discover related majors and in-demand careers based on your current interests! Take a Career Assessment and then browse careers and job opportunities in the area.
Related Programs and Courses
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
We also offer QuickBooks courses in WDCE's Information Technology Institute's Business Applications section.