Geographic Education Certificate
If you're a teacher seeking exposure to geographic concepts and methodology to meet certification requirements in Montgomery County and Maryland, or if you want to become a geography teacher, this certificate program is for you. Coursework in this curriculum involves fieldwork, use of computer technology, mapping exercises, and extensive reading.
Upon completion of this program, a student will be able to:
- Use various geographic concepts and methodologies that will condition them for advanced degrees in geography.
- Read, interpret, and analyze maps.
- Conduct research and present.
- Teach geography in the K-12 curriculum more effectively.
- Use basic geographic information systems (GIS) software designed for grades K-12.
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans. The program advising guide outlines the degree requirements and is meant to supplement the advising process.
For some positions listed, a bachelor's degree or higher may be required. Use the Career and Program Explorer to see a full report for this career field. See links below chart for further guidance and/or connect with a Program Advisor to discuss career goals.
- MC Student Employment Services: Speak with the Student Employment Specialist for help with resume writing, interviewing, setting up a College Central Network (CCN)new window account and other job search topics.
- Career Coach: Explore Career Coach to learn more about this career and/or discover related majors and in-demand careers based on your current interests! Take a Career Assessment and then browse careers and job opportunities in the area.
Related Programs and Courses
General Studies Degree
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Workforce Development and Continuing Education
MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes. These courses are designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.