Geographic Education Certificate
If you're a teacher seeking exposure to geographic concepts and methodology to meet certification requirements in Montgomery County and Maryland, or if you want to become a geography teacher, this certificate program is for you. Coursework in this curriculum involves fieldwork, use of computer technology, mapping exercises, and extensive reading.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Use various geographic concepts and methodologies that will condition them for advanced degrees in geography.
- Read, interpret, and analyze maps.
- Conduct research and present.
- Teach geography in the K-12 curriculum more effectively.
- Use basic geographic information systems (GIS) software designed for grades K-12.
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans. The program advising guide outlines the degree requirements and is meant to supplement the advising process.
Career possibilities include teaching in grades K-12 with a focus on cultural and physical geography.
- Career Outlook for Education Occupationsnew window: Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- MC Career Services: Planning and support for MC students and alumni.
- Career Coach: Explore hundreds of potential careers and job possibilities.
Related Programs and Courses
General Studies Degree
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Workforce Development and Continuing Education
MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes. These courses are designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.