Emergency Preparedness Management Certificate
The certificate in emergency preparedness management provides students with the technical and professional knowledge to prepare for a career in emergency management. Courses provide introductory through advanced training in the skills necessary to succeed as a professional in this field.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Develop and evaluate an emergency operations plan based on data provided on a hypothetical jurisdiction.
- Determine hazards and develop risk assessment programs in local communities.
- Deliver emergency management public education programs to target populations.
- Develop and implement short and long term recovery concepts into all areas of the community, using an all hazard approach.
- Analyze organizational behavior problems as they apply to emergency operations.
- Analyze the roles, responsibilities, and authorities of the various organizations responding to hazardous materials incidents.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the activities that should happen in each phase of a disaster.
- Demonstrate understanding of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to understand emergency management as a field of research and practice.
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans and make sure you are on track to graduate and/or transfer. The program advising guide outlines the certificate requirements and is meant to supplement the advising process.
Related careers include law enforcement, fire service, and emergency medical services.
- Career Outlook for Emergency Management Directornew window: Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- MC Career Services: Planning and support for MC students and alumni.
- Career Coach: Explore hundreds of potential careers and job possibilities.
Related Programs and Courses
General Studies Degree
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Workforce Development and Continuing Education
MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.