MATH 170: Resources Selected by Instructors
Topic 1: Algebra Skills
- Khan Academy: Polynomial factorizationnew window
Complete video tutorials.
- Khan Academy video: Intro to logarithm propertiesnew window
Topic 2: Evaluating Limits
Definition of the derivative & Infinite Limits
- Derivatives using the limit definitionnew window
- Paul's Online Math Notes: Infinite Limitsnew window
- Khan Academy Video: Infinite limits intronew window
Topic 3: Derivatives that Involve More than One Rule
Multiple Applications of the Chain Rule & Figuring out the appropriate rules to apply
and when to apply them.
- Differentiation using the chain rulenew window
Scroll down for the more challenging examples.
- Khan Academy Video: Chain rule introductionnew window
Topic 4: u-Substitution
General Strategies & Pattern Recognition
- Video: THS 4 5 1 Integration by Substitution Pattern Recognitionnew window
- Khan Academy Video: u-substitutionnew window
- Paul's Online Math Notes: Substitution Rule for Indefinite Integralsnew window
Topic 5: Mathematical Modeling (including word problems)
Using Semilog & Log-Log Plots to determine if a linear, power or exponential function is the most appropriate model & Optimization Problems
- Semilog and Double Log Plots (PDF, )
- Mathematical Modelsnew window
- Video: Modeling with Functions Part 2new window
Math Tutoring at Your Campus
- Rockville - Ackerman Learning Center
- Takoma Park/Silver Spring math tutoring
- Germantown math tutoring
Other Math Department Resources
- MC Mathematics Department
Find links to many resources, including our eighteen different math and statistics courses offered at our three campuses and our math degrees.
- Algebra Makernew window
Practice problems with answers, good for classes like Math 045/050 and Math 165.
- STEM Transfer Resourcesnew window
This website provides interactive tools, engaging resources, and important services to help prospective and current STEM transfer students plan for a successful transition between two-year and four-year institutions.
- WolframAlphanew window
Wolfram|Alpha introduces a fundamentally new way to get knowledge and answers— not by searching the web, but by doing dynamic computations based on a vast collection of built-in data, algorithms, and methods.
- MATLAB Centralnew window
A place where you can get answers, challenge yourself and others, and share your knowledge. Tap into the knowledge and experience of over 100,000 community members and MathWorks employees.
- Significant Figures from the STEM Transfer Student Success Initiativenew window
Tests and a video on learning significant figures.
End of sidebar