Updating Your Student Academic Plan for Completion (SAPC)
- REFLECT on your academic, career and personal goals, your program requirements.
- CONNECT with a program advisor or counselor to review your ideas for your plan.
- RECORD your plan in an easy to fill out savable online form.
The goal of the Student Academic Plan for Completion (SAPC) is to help you plan your academic path at Montgomery College and keep you on track to completing your goals. Once you begin your academic plan, you should regularly update it.
If your instructor has assigned this academic plan as part of your class, please follow his or her instructions for due dates, completion, and sign offs and any other related activities. There are many resources available to help you complete your academic plan. Any of the following might be useful:
- PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS: After you confirm your major, use the Montgomery College Catalog to review your program requirements and a recommended course sequence.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: review the list of General Education Courses.
- Review your academic history (see below).
- MATH and ENGLISH REQUIREMENTS: your Math and English requirements should be completed in your first two semesters or as soon as you have completed any prerequisites. Waiting on your math and English requirements will delay your graduation.
- Review the advising worksheet for your program found on this page(scroll down to find your program).
- Meet with a counselor or program advisor to discuss the courses and course sequencing you should be following. NOTE: counselors and program advisors will discuss course selection and sequencing with you, but will not complete your SAPC for you.
- Review your Starfish degree plan, if you have worked on one with a counselor.
- Review course equivalencies from other institutions and to review recommended transfer programs (see a counselor or program advisor for help reviewing recommended transfer plans).
- Use transfer agreements to help you determine what to take.
Completing your Academic Plan
Please review the following instructions and any instructions your instructor gives you. Then, you will be able to begin or update your Student Academic Plan in your MyMC portal:
Step 1 – Sign In and General Info:
Sign in to your MYMC account and click on the Student Academic Plan (SAPC) icon:
- Click on the “Create/Edit the Academic Plan” option.
- The next page will display your name M number, last term you attended classes, total
earned credits and your major. If your major is not correct, you must complete the
Declaration of Change of Program of Study form available at this link.
- Review the courses you have taken previously. Click on Academic History to review
what courses you have already taken and to determine if anticipated transfer credit
is reflected on your transcript. (If you expect transfer credit from AP scores or
other institutions to be listed, be sure that you have submitted the appropriate documents.)
Step 2 – Current Courses:
Label the first proposed semester on your plan with the current semester, and enter or update it with the courses you are currently taking by searching the course and adding it to the proposed semester.
- Be sure to click SAVE/Update at the bottom left corner of the screen when you are done with Step 2.
Step 3 – Future Courses:
Label each proposed semester in your plan with the correct semester date (e.g. Fall 2021). Then select and enter the courses you plan to take for the next ONE to TWO semesters on the proposed semesters.
Alternately, if you may want schedule a meeting with a counselor or program advisor to discuss your course selections. (Neither counselors nor program advisors will complete the form for you, but both are available to discuss your plan. Appointments must be made in advance and academic planning appointments are not emergencies. See the attached instructions for setting up appointments with counselors and times program advisors are available for consultation.)
Be sure to click SAVE at the bottom left corner of the screen when you are done with Step 2.
Step 4 – Academic Plan Review:
To have your plan reviewed, you will need to meet with a counselor or program advisor within your area of study. If you are an Engineering major, you should meet with an advisor/professor in the engineering department, etc. If you are General Studies major, you can meet with a program advisor from a discipline you are interested in or you can meet with a counselor to review your plan. Whomever you meet with should add comments and their name on tab 2 of the plan.
NOTE: If you are a post-baccalaureate student, you need only complete the current semester using the courses you are currently taking. Use the advising notes to identify that you already have a degree, and indicate the reasons you are taking courses.
NOTE: If you know you are transferring after this semester, enter the courses you are taking for the current semester (or update those courses), and make a note in the advising comments tab of the institution to which you are intending to transfer. You should meet with a program advisor or counselor to ensure your transfer plans are on track.
Step 5 – Submit Plan:
- Click on “Submit as Complete.” (You WILL be able to modify and then resubmit your plan in the future, so don’t panic!)
- Click on the “Print Student Academic Plan” button. Follow your instructor’s directions for submitting the assignment in class. Print out a physical copy of your plan to keep for your records and to use to help you register for next semester.
- Be sure to come back to your plan to update it each semester with any changes to the courses you are taking and to revise your future plan as needed.