The MC to USG Pathway
Start at Montgomery College and earn your associate's degree, then seamlessly transfer to the Universities at Shady Grove to earn your bachelor's degree from one of Maryland's top public universities without leaving Montgomery County.
About the Universities at Shady Grove
The Universities at Shady Grove (USG) offers select degrees from nine top Maryland public universitiesnew window all on one convenient campus in Rockville, Maryland. Take your classes at USG, but apply to and earn your degree directly from the university offering your program. You are taught by the same professors, take the same courses, and have the same curriculum as students enrolled in your program at the university’s main campus. In addition, all undergraduate students at USG are transfers, with 75% coming from MC!
Explore bachelor's degrees offered at USGnew window
The MC to USG Pathway
The MC to USG Pathway significantly reduces the overall costs of obtaining a four-year college degree by as much as $50k+ and includes the benefit of being able to live, work, and study close to home. Some additional benefits include:
- Scholarships: Students at USG are eligible for scholarships from both their home university and from USG.
- Small Class Size: Classes at USG average around 30 students, very similar to your experience at MC.
- Personalized Services: USG offers customized student services and ample student life opportunities, all geared specifically to juniors, seniors, and graduate students.
- Transfers Only: USG only offers the upper level classes, meaning after you complete approximately 2 years - or 60 credits - at MC, you can complete your bachelor’s degree in just 2 more years at USG!
Learn more about USG’s campus, benefits, and servicesnew window!
Transfer Access Programs
MC students can participate in free Transfer Access Programsnew window (TAP) designed to exclusively benefit students during their time at MC. Students must have at least one semester remaining to apply to TAP, but are encouraged to apply as early as possible to maximize benefits. All Transfer Access Programs offer:
- Early access to USG advisers and services while still attending MC
- The opportunity to earn an associate's degree and a bachelor’s degree
- Scholarship opportunities and assistance
- Workshops and activities designed to enhance academic preparation, career readiness, and campus connection
The following Transfer Access Programs are currently available:
- University of Maryland, College Park (UMCP) Terp Transfer Partnership
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) Hawk Line
- University of Baltimore (UB) Bee Line
- UMBC Raptor 2 Retriever
Learn more about Transfer Access Programsnew window!
- Make an appointment with your MC counselor to explore the variety of undergraduate programsnew window offered at USG.
- Contact the program representative(s) for your major at USGnew window and ask about the admission deadlines and requirements. Also check to see if there is a Transfer Access Program affiliated with your major.
- Learn more about USG online through the prospective student resourcesnew window page or scheduling a virtual appointmentnew window.
- Check out upcoming virtual eventsnew window at which you can connect with USG or program-specific representatives.
- Stay up-to-date on the application deadlines for the programs in which you’re interested. Don't forget to check Shady Grove as your preferred campus on the application.
- As soon as your final MC grades have been reported, send your completed transcript directly to the university to which you plan to transfer.