Student Visas/Status

If you do not live in the United States and do not have a visa, you must obtain a student visa (F-1 or M-1) before enrolling at Montgomery College. 

If a student is currently enrolled at Montgomery College and is ending their non-immigrant status (dependents turning 21 years old, or persons ending the employment which gave them a non-immigrant status, etc.), he or she may need to apply for a form I-20 to get F-1 or M-1 status through the Montgomery College International Coordinator's Office. Recent changes in immigration procedures may require you to start this process SIX TO NINE MONTHS BEFORE your current status ends. Make an appointment with an international student coordinator to get started. 

Types of Student Visas
Apply for a new I-20 from Outside the US

Find out steps for a MC I-20 application process for degree-seeking and noncredit ESL program students.

Apply for a new I-20 from Inside the US

Students who are currently in the US can apply for an I-20 under very limited conditions.

Transferring an I-20

Information for students with an I-20 inside of the US, who wish to transfer into MC.

Information for Permanent Residents, Immigrant Visa Holders, and Non-immigrants

Permanent residents, immigrant visa Holders, and non-immigrants are welcome to study at the College based on their visa and status requirements: 

  • Students in categories A, E, G, H I, J, K, L, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, and V are welcome to study part time or full time while they are in the United States and should apply directly to the Admission and Records/Registrar's Office on their campus of choice. Follow the College's regular admissions steps at Getting Started: How to Apply and Register. 
  • Those in categories, C, D, and WT= visa waiver, are NOT permitted to study but may apply to get the I-20 and apply for a F-1 Student Visa at a US Consulate outside of the United States.
  • Those with F-2 status may study part time as long as their F-1 parent is still in status.
  • Visitors in B status may only take a course for their own interest while they visit the US and should see an International Coordinator BEFORE applying to the College if they are interested in more study.
Common searches:
Jump to Navigation
Skip section and go back to top ©