Skip to main content

Resources for Foster Care and Homeless Youth

students raising their hands in classroom

Montgomery College welcomes all Foster Care and Homeless youth students. This page provides financial and academic resources to assist you in being a successful student. MC  has designated a Foster Care and Homeless Youth liaison, who can be reached in the Scholarships Office on the Rockville Campus, SV201 or by emailing scholarships@montgomerycollege.edunew window

You and the Financial Aid Process

To be considered an Independent Student for financial aid purposes, you must meet the Department of Education Federal Student Aid criteria for Unaccompanied Homeless Youth or Foster Care Youth. You will need to provide that documentation to the MC Financial Aid Office separately through your MyMC account. You can find out more about the Independent Student criteria on the Federal Student Aid websitenew window.

If you meet the eligibility requirements, answer “yes” to the Dependency Status question on the FAFSA as applicable. Once MC has received your FAFSA, the financial aid office will request documentation to determine your eligibility for the Independent Student Status. You can upload that through your MyMC. To find out more about submitting financial aid forms.

Financial Aid Resources

Tuition Waiver

Foster Care and Homeless Youth in Maryland who meet certain criteria, may be eligible for a Tuition Waiver. For more information about the Tuition Waiver at Montgomery College, please visit the Special Tuition Waivers page. 

Federal Financial Aid

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)new window and add MC’s school code (006911). Students who are not eligible to file the FAFSA skip to the State Financial Aid section below.

For U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents, Political Asylees, and Refugees who are eligible to complete the FAFSA, please complete the intake formnew window for the TRiO: Educational Opportunity Center (EOC). TRiO: EOC and the Foster Care and Homeless Youth liaison coordinate to ensure all students are able to maximize financial aid offers available to you. Find out more information about TRiO: EOC.

State Financial Aid

Students must file the FAFSA or MSFAA annually by March 1 to receive priority consideration for State Financial Aid.

DACA, DREAM Act, Undocumented, Political Asylum applicant students from Maryland may be eligible to complete the Maryland State Financial Aid Application (MSFAA)new window. For assistance with completing the MSFAA, contact Raptor Central.

Maryland Education Training Voucher for Foster Care Youth

Certain Foster Care Youth in Maryland are eligible to apply for the Maryland Education Training Voucher (ETV). To view eligibility criteria and apply, please visit their websitenew window.

  • You must be a current or former foster student who:
    • was in U.S. foster care on your 18th birthday and aged out at that time.
    • was adopted from U.S. foster care with the adoption finalized AFTER your 16th birthday.
    • will have your foster care case closed between the ages of 18 and 21.
    • was placed in guardianship from foster care after your 16th birthday.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen.
  • Your personal assets (bank account, car, home, etc.) are worth less than $10,000.
  • You must be at least 18 to apply. You may reapply for ETV funds, if you have a current grant, up to the age of 26.
  • Has accessed ETV funding less than the 5 year limit (consecutive or intermittent).
  • You must have been accepted into or be enrolled in a degree, certificate or other accredited program at a college, university, technical, vocational school. To remain eligible for ETV funding, you must show progress toward a degree or certificate.
  1. Complete your online ETV Applicationnew window
  2. Confirm your enrollment and Cost of Attendance in one of two ways:
    • Print and Sign a Financial Aid Release Form (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window) and bring it to the Foster Care Liaison in the Scholarships Office at Rockville SV201 or email it to scholarships@montgomerycollege.edunew window. You must have completed your FAFSA/MSFAA and all required documents at MC before the MD ETV form can be completed by the liaison.
    • Email a copy of your award letter or email a copy of your school bill that includes your name, itemized list of charges, financial aid award, and remaining balance for the semester.
  3. Submit your budgetnew window: this will help you manage your money and plan for the semester.

Dream Act

To apply for the DREAM Act to receive in-state tuition and to be eligible for state financial aid you should contact the Registration staff member for your campus. Find out more information.

Scholarship Resources

MC Foundation Scholarships

The Montgomery College Foundation offers more than 300 Foundation scholarship opportunities, generously provided by businesses, organizations, and individuals. Scholarships are available for students who are in good academic standing and have financial need. There are two deadlines: June 30 for the fall semester and December 31 for spring semester.

Admitted students can apply for all MC Foundation scholarships by completing one online application through AcademicWorks. This online tool automatically matches you up with relevant scholarships. Go to the online applicationnew window and use your MyMC login to begin the process.

The Herb Block Foundation Scholarships

The Herb Block Scholarship provides financial assistance to students of all ages to attend community colleges in the DC metro area. It helps roughly 100 students each year gain access to higher education they could not otherwise afford. For more information and to apply, please visit their websitenew window.

Students of any age are eligible for The Herb Block Scholarship if they are a high school graduates, GED holders, or current community college students, who meet the following criteria:

  • Are US citizens/nationals, Permanent Resident Aliens, have been granted DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) by the US Customs and Immigration Service, or qualify for in-state tuition under the Maryland Dream Act or Virginia Dream Act. (Note: the 2020 Virginia Dream Act refers to the change in VA policy that allowed students who met certain criteria to receive in-state tuition through the SB 935, "Tuition Equity Provision for High School Completers.)
  • Are a primary resident in Washington, DC, or Montgomery or Prince George’s Counties in Maryland, or the Cities of Alexandria or Falls Church, or the Counties of Arlington or Fairfax in Virginia.
  • A US citizen/nationals, Permanent Resident Aliens, have been granted DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) by the US Customs and Immigration Service, or qualify for in-state tuition under the Maryland or Virginia Dream Act
  • Are eligible for (but need not necessarily receive) federal financial aid.
  • Are attending, or plan to attend, on a full time or part time basis, one of the participating community colleges, and have not yet earned more than 40 credits towards a degree.
  • Can demonstrate financial need and, if eligible, apply for financial aid.

Applications are open March 1st until the November deadline. There are two scholarship deadlines each year. Applications for the fall semester awards are due June 1st, applications for spring semester are due November 10th.

Tuition and Fees

Please view the annual tuition and fees. To estimate your total tuition and fee costs, pay attention to the type of residency you have and the number of credits you will take per semester.


Because you may be eligible for additional financial aid and scholarships, which can be refunded to you to use for items such as books, transportation, housing, meals, and more, you should sign up for electronic refunds so that the refunds will be sent to your bank account within 3 – 5 days after disbursement. If you do not sign up for electronic refunds, a paper check will be mailed to your address on file at MC within 10 – 14 business days after disbursement. Find out more information about signing up for electronic refunds (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window) .