Skip to main content

Federal Grants

You may be eligible for the following grants from the federal government to help pay for college. To apply, follow the steps on our How to Apply for Financial Aid page.

Pell Grants

Federal Pell Grantsnew window do not have to be repaid. They are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's degree (in the United States or abroad). In order to receive a Pell Grant, you must have demonstrated financial need. You may receive a Pell Grant if you are enrolled in a degree or an eligible certificate program and are taking at least one (1) credit. You may not be eligible for a Pell Grant if you are below half time enrollment (under six (6) credit hours). Please check with the Financial Aid Office to confirm your individual eligibility.

The maximum amount of Pell Grant you can receive each year is determined by the amount of funding Congress allocates to the program each year. The grant is applied first to tuition and fees. Any remaining Pell funds over and above the amount you owe the college may be distributed to you for your school related expenses. Please note: If you register for any classes after the 100% refund period at Montgomery College, you will not be eligible for additional Pell Grant for those classes.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grantnew window (FSEOG) does not have to be repaid. The program is designed for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to those students who receive a Pell Grant and have the lowest EFCs (Expected Family Contribution). The amount of grant available to students is determined by the amount of federal funding given to the school for the academic year. Awards at Montgomery College generally range from $200 to $1,000 per school year.