Skip to main content

Tuition Refund Appeals

All tuition refund appeals must include a completed Tuition Refund Appeal Form (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window) , any supporting documentation, and a personal statement. Only complete packets will be accepted by the Office of Records and Registration. Appeals will not be considered if submitted more than 45 days after the close of the semester for which you are claiming a refund, unless the instructor has verified the student’s non-attendance in the class. Detailed instructions about the tuition refund appeal process can be found on the Tuition Refund Appeal Form.

Before submitting a tuition refund appeal, the student should officially drop or withdraw from the class (es) they are appealing if it is within the time frame to do so during the applicable semester as specified in My MC. If they received a failing grade, they must submit an Academic Appeal Form (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window) to the Academic Appeals Committee on the campus where the course was taught and receive a favorable outcome before a refund can be considered. The student should submit the academic appeal and tuition refund together to ensure they do not miss the deadlines. However, if the student received a failing grade but the instructor verified their non-attendance, then an academic appeal does not need to be completed and just the tuition refund appeal process can be followed.

If the student is withdrawing for one of the four following reasons they should file an involuntary withdrawal form (PDF, Get Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader - Link opens in new window) and not a tuition refund appeal:

  1. Called to active military duty;
  2. illness of student or an immediate family member;
  3. death of student or immediate family member;
  4. involuntary transfer/change in work hours by student’s employer which prevents continued attendance;
  5. crisis situation to include natural disasters, national crises, acts of war, government-mandated restrictions, or other incidents where there is a deemed credible risk to student’s health and well-being.

If the student is using VA benefits, is an F-1 or M-1 visa holder, or is receiving Financial Aid, they must discuss the appeal and receive the recommendation from the appropriate staff members, as applicable.

If their appeal is approved, the student may receive a pro-rated refund of tuition depending upon the specific student’s circumstances. Fees are non-refundable. If the student is eligible for a refund, the process may take a minimum of six weeks to complete.


Montgomery College's preferred method of issuing refunds is through electronic refund. Sign up by logging into MyMC. Click on Pay My Bill, then click on eRefund in the top menu. Click the Set Up Account button and follow the instructions. 

  • The eRefund account must be a valid personal checking account. Your account must have a valid routing number and bank account number.
  • Your account must not have been restricted due to insufficient fund charges.
  • We will direct deposit into the eRefund account set up by the student, which may be a different account used for payment.

NOTE: Credit card payments will be refunded back to the credit card account used for payment even if the student has an existing eRefund account. WDCE credit card payments are exceptions and will be processed as a check refund or an eRefund.