Database Systems Certificate
MC's database systems certificate curriculum will provide you with the training, skills, and knowledge necessary for employment as an entry level database programmer or designer. The certificate can also enhance your skills if you are already working in the field. Through curriculum coursework, you will create Microsoft Access and web database applications, and will write database user interfaces in the Visual Basic.Net environment.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Describe the advantages, disadvantages, and appropriate uses of various database management systems (DBMS).
- Design a database system based on user requirements.
- Create entity-relationship diagrams that accurately describe a database structure.
- Understand and successfully utilize basic database design concepts such as primary and foreign keys, normalizing, bridge tables, alternate primary keys, and strong versus weak entities.
- Create a database system that successfully fulfills an organization's data requirements.
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans and make sure you are on track to graduate and/or transfer. The program advising guide outlines the certificate requirements and is meant to supplement the advising process.
Related careers include database administrator, database design analyst, database manager, and database architect.
- Career Outlook for Computer and Information Technology Occupations: Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- MC Career Services: Planning and support for MC students and alumni.
- Career Coach: Explore hundreds of potential careers and job possibilities.
Related Programs and Courses
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Update your skills and gain in-demand professional certifications in information technology, project management, human resources, business, or entrepreneurship; learn from faculty who are top industry experts.