- Health Enhancement, Exercise Science, and Physical Education
- Exercise Science Area of Concentration, Arts and Sciences
Exercise Science Area of Concentration, Arts and Sciences Degree
This AA area of concentration is designed for the student who wishes to pursue a career in health promotion, fitness, or corporate wellness. An analysis of job markets in fields related to health promotion shows that they are experiencing rapid growth expansion as our society continues to become more aware of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle. This area of concentration has been designed as a transfer program, including a program developed in conjunction with Salisbury University's exercise science degree. This associate's degree program is also appropriate for students interested in pursuing a baccalaureate degree in exercise science, health promotion, health education, or kinesiology from another college or university.
Students will acquire knowledge and skills and will develop the abilities to apply theoretical information in practical real-life situations. Emphasis is on an understanding of the human body, health behavior, personal health, lifetime fitness principles and training techniques, nutrition, weight control, stress management, and other related healthy lifestyle topics. Students will learn to assess the different components of health and fitness, and they will acquire skills in the design, implementation, and supervision of healthier lifestyle programs for groups and individuals.
Students will also acquire the program assessment and evaluation skills needed for the successful implementation of health behavior change programming.
Completion of the AA requirements in exercise science will prepare students for fitness certifications through nationally recognized professional organizations such as the American College of Sports Medicine. Upon completion of designated courses, students will be eligible to sit for various NCCA approved certifications. Upon completion of the Salisbury University degree, students will be eligible to sit for a variety of CoAES professional certifications including Certified Health Educator Specialist certification, ACSM's Health Fitness Specialist certification, or NCSA's Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist.
The Best Health Degrees ranks MC as one of the 25 Best Exercise Science and Kinesiology Associate’s Degrees for 2021new window.
Upon completion of this program a student will be able to:
- Define health and describe the dimensions of wellness and a healthy lifestyle while demonstrating the impact of individual health related behaviors on health status.
- Demonstrate knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and biomechanics as it relates to health and exercise programming.
- Describe and utilize current theories of health behavior to facilitate behavior change and program adherence.
- Design a comprehensive health fitness program using the principles of exercise science and the skills necessary to administer appropriate fitness assessments.
- Demonstrate knowledge of exercise professional's responsibilities, limitations, and the legal complications.
|*Prior to 2018 any student who registered for PHED 206 was considered admitted to the program without declaring Exercise Science as a major. Beginning in the 2018 – 2019 academic year, students who pass PHED 206 with a C or better and have declared Exercise Science as a major are considered admitted to the program.|
|Academic Year||Graduated||** Graduated Placement Rate|
|**These students either transferred to a four-year institution or obtained employment in a related field.|
Meet with your academic advisor regularly to discuss your academic plans and make sure you are on track to graduate and/or transfer. The program advising guide outlines the degree requirements and is meant to supplement the advising process.
MC has a long history of successfully preparing students for transfer to four-year institutions. This degree is designed for students to transfer and earn a bachelor's degree, including a program developed in conjunction with the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) -Salisbury University. See all transfer agreements.
- View the Transfer Requirements Comparison Chart to see sample course requirements at several Maryland State institutions (PDF, ) .
- View Comparison Chart Showing Transfer Schools Offering Exercise Science, Kinesiology & Related Majors in a 50-Mile Radius of MC Rockville (PDF, ) .
Exercise science professionals lead, instruct, and motivate individuals or groups in exercise activities, including cardiovascular, strength training, and flexibility exercise. Related careers include personal trainer/manager, group fitness instructor/manager, fitness specialist—corporate fitness, general manager—commercial fitness, and wellness director.
- Career Outlook for Fitness Trainers and Instructorsnew window: Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- MC Career Services: Planning and support for MC students and alumni.
- Career Coach: Explore hundreds of potential careers and job possibilities.
A suggested course sequence for students follows.
- All students should review the advising guide and consult an advisor.
- Find out about related programs and course in the Fields of Study section.
- Most courses have either assessment levels that must be met or prerequisites (courses that must be taken first). Part-time students and those who need to meet assessment levels or take prerequisite courses will take longer to complete a degree. An advisor will help make sure you are taking your courses in the right order.
- All degree-seeking students must take a central group of General Education courses in English, mathematics, arts, behavioral and social sciences, humanities, and science. These courses are included in the suggested course sequence below.
Suggested Course Sequence
- ENGL 101 - Introduction to College Writing 3 semester hours
- BIOL 150 - Principles of Biology I 4 semester hours (NSLD)
- HLTH 220 - Emergency Medical Responder 3 semester hours
- PHED 206 - Principles and Practices of Health-Related Fitness 3 semester hours
- English Foundation 3 semester hours (ENGF)
- MATH 117 - Elements of Statistics 3 semester hours (MATF)
- HLTH 225 - Introduction to Health Behaviors 3 semester hours (GEIR)
- PHED 228 - Group Fitness Instructor Training 3 semester hours
- Humanities Distribution 3 semester hours (HUMD) ††
- BIOL 212 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I 4 semester hours (NSLD)
- COMM 108 - Foundations of Human Communication 3 semester hours (GEIR)
- PHED 230 - Advanced Weight Training: Theory and Program Design 3 semester hours
- PHED 237 - Fitness Assessment and Programming 3 semester hours
- PSYC 102 - General Psychology 3 semester hours (BSSD)
- BIOL 213 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II 4 semester hours
- PHED 240 - Personal Training Techniques 3 semester hours
- PHED 250 - Prevention and Management of Exercise Injuries 3 semester hours
- SOCY 100 - Introduction to Sociology 3 semester hours (BSSD)
† MATH 165 or MATH 150 can be taken to fulfill this requirement. (Consult department advisor to determine the appropriate math course).
‡ Meets general education global and cultural perspective.
Students participating in the articulated curriculum with Salisbury University @ Shady Grove need an additional 7 credits that include PHED 166, HLTH 160 and one of the following health courses: HLTH 131, HLTH 170, HLTH 212, HLTH 215, or HLTH 230. Students must meet with departmental advisors for selection of appropriate general education and professional courses.
Related Programs and Courses
General Studies Degree
Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.
Workforce Development and Continuing Education
MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes. These courses are designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.
- Health Enhancement Exercise Science and Physical Education Program
- Community Health Area of Concentration, Arts and Sciences AA Degree
- Exercise Science Area of Concentration, Arts and Sciences AA Degree
- Physical Education Teacher Education Area of Concentration, Arts and Sciences AA Degree
- Public Health Sciences AS Degree
- Advanced Personal Trainer Certificate