Nurse Refresher Program(RNs/LPNs), Blended Online and Traditional
Nurse Refresher Programs
The Nursing Refresher Program is designed for Registered Nurses (RNs) or Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) returning to the work force. Classes are offered in a Blended online classroom or traditional classroom. Nurse Refresher Classroom and Clinical are available for the Tuition Installment Plan (TIP). You must register for all three courses (classroom, lab and clinical) at the same time in order to use the payment plan. There is a non-refundable fee to participate in the payment plan.
Nurse Refresher Classes starting June 2020. Registration Begins July 22, 2019. If it has been years since you have practiced as an RN or LPN, attend one of the Nurse Refresher orientations:
- Tuesday April 21, 2020, 5:15 p.m. – 7:15 p.m. OR
- Monday, May 4, 2020, 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- For more information:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 240-567-5513/5507.
I. Nursing Refresher Program Licensure Requirement
Nurses taking a Refresher Course must have a current inactive license with a current expiration date, active, or temporary Maryland license.
- If you have an inactive license, please contact the Maryland Board of Nursing to start the process of activating your inactive license with a current expiration date.
- DC or other state license – Please contact the Maryland Board of Nursing for the endorsement application to obtain an inactive MD nursing license.
- Inactive out of state license – Please contact the Maryland Board of Nursing for the endorsement application to obtain an inactive MD nursing license.
- Compact license – Maryland is a compact state. Check with the Maryland Board of Nursing to make sure you can practice in MD.
- Your RN or LPN license must be activated to inactive with a current expiration date before you can start clinical. If your license is received after clinical starts, speak with the Program Director to request placement in the next term’s clinical section.
II. Nursing Refresher Orientation Session (Mandatory)
This orientation session is mandatory for students who are enrolled in the Nursing Refresher Program. The orientation session is about four weeks prior to the start of classes. Topics include, study tips, classroom theory, and program requirements and prerequisites. Students will be given an information packet listing all requirements to include required health records and forms necessary to participate in the program. Students must attain an 80% or better average on exams and final, skills competency must be passed, and math calculations must attain a 100%. Failure to meet requirements will result in students not being allowed to go to Clinical.
III. Nursing Refresher Classroom, 100 hours, Select Traditional Classroom NUR057 or Blended Online NUR069
This 100 hour course is designed for RNs and LPNs who desire to maintain or re-establish their active license to reenter the nursing field. Learn more about the Nursing Refresher either Classroom or Blended/Online version.
IV. Nursing Refresher Lab, NUR023, 8 hours
This lab is for inactive or active registered or licensed practical nurses who have completed the classroom portion of this program. Topics focus on health/physical assessment, nursing process, communication, nursing care and procedures, current trends in documentation, and pharmacology. Learn more about the Nursing Refresher Lab.
V. Nursing Refresher Clinical, NUR007, 60 hours
Experienced nurses supervise your 60 hours of clinical experience in medical-surgical nursing, which includes patient assignments, teamwork, completing documentation and care plans, and giving medication. Please take note that there are a long list of requirements students must meet in order to participate in the Nursing Refresher Clinical. Learn more about the Nursing Refresher Clinical.
Please e-mail Wendy Wells, the Program Director, for information at email@example.com
Health Sciences Institute