Tuition Waiver for Students with Disabilities - WDCE
WDCE Tuition Waiver for Students with Disabilities Guide
HB104 (http://mlis.state.md.us/2011rs/chapters_noln/Ch_576_hb0104T.pdf), enacted by the 2011 Maryland General Assembly, redefines the tuition waiver for students with disabilities as those out of the workforce by reason of total and permanent disability and entering community colleges. HB 104 superseded previous legislation and proposed significant changes to Section 16-106c of the Education Article, Annotated Code of Maryland. HB53, effective July 1, 2012, allows for Workforce Development and Continuing Education students to receive disability waivers.
SSA (Social Security Administration) Verification
- Any resident of Maryland who is out of the workforce because of a permanent disability as defined by the Social Security Act, the Railroad Retirement Act, or in the case of former federal employees, the Office of Personnel Management, and enrolls in a community college class that has at least 10 regularly enrolled students, may be eligible for tuition waiver.
- Individual receiving SSI or SSDI benefits as a dependent or survivor of a disabled
beneficiary do not qualify for this waiver.
The Student Will:
- Obtain a Certification for Tuition Waiver form (PDF, ) .
- Take the form to the Social Security Administration office that serves your area, or, if appropriate, to the Railroad Retirement Board or the federal agency from which you retired due to disability to have your form signed and certified and/or obtain a Social Security Benefit Verification Letter that you are receiving SSI or SSDI payments and are permanently disabled.
- Return the completed Certification for Tuition Waiver form to one of the Workforce Development and Continuing Education (WDCE) Customer Service offices along with your registration form and payment.
- The Certification for Tuition Waiver form is only valid for one academic year (Academic
year starts with the Fall semester), and must be renewed each August prior to the
start of the fall semester.
- If you are unsure if you have current SSA verification on file, Customer Service 240-567-5188, will be able to assist you with that information.
- All awarded grants and scholarships will be applied first to pay your tuition.
- The tuition waiver does not apply to fees.
- In accordance with the Maryland General Assembly guideline, Montgomery College will
discontinue the tuition waiver if you enroll in a course with less than 10 regularly
Tuition Waiver for Students taking Credit courses
For tuition waiver for students with disabilities who are taking credit courses, please visit Special Tuition Waivers/ Credit Courses (PDF, ) for more information.