Arts, Business, Education, English, and Social Sciences
Welcome to the Collegewide Arts, Business, Education, English, and Social Sciences (ABEESS) Unit at Montgomery College, covering the instructional areas of Visual and Performing Arts; Business, Economics, Accounting, Computer Applications, Hospitality Management, and Paralegal Studies (BEACAHMPS); English and Reading; and Education and Social Sciences.
We are dedicated to making difference in the lives of our students. Our initiatives are intended to help our students by ensuring they have an exceptional educational experience while attaining a credential or a degree more easily and with less expense. We are also committed to enhancing the lives of our community members through multiple educational pathways that serve the needs of all individuals.
Whether students are attaining credentials for a first career or a third career, Montgomery College and the ABEESS unit offer something for everyone.
Who We Are
Office Location: Rockville Campus, MT 102
Dr. Kelley is a native of Maryland and was educated in the Montgomery County school system. She is excited to return to her home state and provide support for the students, faculty, and staff at the Rockville Campus of Montgomery College.
Dr. Kelley was most recently at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside as the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. In her role as Associate Vice Chancellor, Dr. Kelley led the University’s initiative to close the achievement gap for at-risk students and improve student persistence and retention across the institution. Dr. Kelley was also responsible for new program development to offer alternative pathways for traditional and non-traditional student to achieve their educational goals. Dr. Kelley successfully launched several programs with educational partners within the State including three direct assessment certificates, a new online degree in business, four associate’s degrees, and a blended four-year degree program, with a two-year partner, in which the two-year partner confers the four-year degree. Dr. Kelley is committed to student success and providing new pathways for student credential achievement.
Dr. Kelley also led facilities planning while she was at UW-Parkside. This included overseeing the remodeling and new addition to the performing arts center at UW-Parkside. The Rita Tallent Picken Center for the Performing Arts opened in 2012 as the largest regional center for the performing arts in Southeastern Wisconsin. In addition, Dr. Kelley worked with the region and the State to develop the Campus Master Plan which led to funding for a million dollar plus renovation to the campus’s chemistry lab and a planned renovation of the campus’s Wyllie Hall to create a student academic success project in excess of 30 million dollars.
Since, 1991, Dr. Kelley has taught at the undergraduate and graduate level. Currently, she teaches at the doctoral level in business at the University of Maryland, University College where she has been a tenured faculty member for 25 years. Dr. Kelley has a doctorate in Higher Education, Policy and Leadership from the University of Maryland, College Park, a master’s in information science, and a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Emory University.
Deans and Department Chairs
- Business, Economics, Accounting, Computer Applications, Hospitality Management, and
Paralegal Studies (BEACAHMPS), Kathryn Davis, Collegewide Dean
- Andrea Foster, Chair, GT/TPSS, Business, Economics, Accounting, Computer Applications, and Paralegal Studies (BEACAPS)
- Ali Alavi, Chair, RV, Business, Economics, Computer Applications, and Hospitality Management (BECAHM)
- Education and Social Sciences, Eric Benjamin, Collegewide Dean
- Shinta Hernandez, Chair, Rockville Department of Anthropology, Criminal Justice, and Sociology; Takoma Park/Silver Spring Department of Anthropology, Criminal Justice, and Sociology
- Zeporia Smith, Chair, Rockville Department of Education and Psychology; Takoma Park/Silver Spring Department of Education and Psychology
- Dede Marshall, Chair, Germantown Campus Department of Education and Social Sciences
- English and Reading, Rodney Redmond, Collegewide Dean
- Teri Hurst, Chair, Rockville Campus Department of English and Reading
- Ellen Olmstead, Chair, Takoma Park/Silver Spring Department of English and Reading
- Mary E. Robinson, Chair, Germantown Campus Department of English and Reading
- Visual, Performing, and Media Arts, Frank Trezza, Collegewide Dean
- Tendai Johnson, Chair, Germantown Art Department
- Tendai Johnson, Chair, Rockville Art Department
- Erik Swanson, Chair, Rockville Media Arts and Technologies
- Alvin Trask, Chair, Rockville Performing Arts Department
- Norberto Gomez, Chair, Takoma Park/Silver Spring Visual and Performing Arts Department
- Arts, Business, Education, English, and Social Sciences Academic Unit
- Business, Economics, Accounting, Computer Applications, Hospitality Management, and Paralegal Studies Instructional Area
- Education and Social Sciences Instructional Area
- English and Reading Instructional Area
- Visual and Performing Arts Instructional Area
Other Academic Units
- Communications, Health Sciences, Health and Physical Education, and Humanities (CHSHPEH)
- Applied Technologies, Gudelsky Institute, Workforce Development and Continuing Education (ATGITEWDCE)
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)