Transfer Tool Kit

Information for Advising

This page will provide unique information for transfer advising - those items every student, advisor and counselor needs to know about transferring to MC's partner institutions.


1. UMBC has a graduation requirement that all students must complete three semesters of a foreign language. Students can take the courses at MC or UMBC, or can be waived out of the requirement by demonstrating language proficiency through an AP, CLEP or IB exam, or by documenting four years of a language in high school. International students may also request an exemption. Visit for more information. The Shady Grove Foreign Language Credit Limit Exemption allows students attending USG to transfer up to 6 credits of foreign language above the 60 credit limit, provided that one of those courses is at the 201-level. Language credits can be completed before or after matriculation at UMBC at Shady Grove.


Students wishing to enroll at UMGC should complete CMSC110, or they will be required to take a computer literacy course upon transfer.

University of Maryland, College Park (UMD)

1. Students majoring in any of the degree programs within the College of Arts and Humanities must fulfill a Global Engagement Requirement. This may be done by completing a foreign language sequence, going on study abroad, or by doing a designated independent study. Learn more at The ARHU Global Engagementnew window. This requirement applies to both main campus and students enrolled in the Communication degree at the Universities at Shady Grove.

2. Beginning with the fall 2018 admissions cycle, the UMD will require students to submit a third party academic evaluation for only post-secondary/university credentials using either Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or Josef Silny & Associates (JS&A). Evaluations must be received by the appropriate deadline. Students should submit the course-by-course evaluation along with original transcript(s) and a certified English translation of the transcript(s), if applicable. The  grade point average calculation and upper division course designations should also be submitted. If the evaluation is being completed by JS&A, upper division course designations must be submitted for students with more than one year of post-secondary/university education completed. Learn more at International Applicant Requirementsnew window.

3. Effective fall 2018, CMSC203 at MC will be accepted as CMSC131 at UMD. Effective spring 2019, CMSC204 at MC will be accepted as CMSC132 at UMD. Students will only get credit for the equivalencies if they take the class during the initial semester in which the equivalency is valid. Students who took CMSC203 prior to Fall 2018, or who take CMSC204 prior to spring 2019, will still be required to take the placement exam. In addition, students must earn a “C” or better to have those classes transfer.

4. Students are strongly recommended to take ENGL102 to transfer to UMD. MC's ENGL103 is not equivalent to ENGL101 at UMD, and will not count as the pre-requisite for most upper-division writing requirements. Consult a transfer advisor to determine which ENGL foundation course is best for you.

5. Beginning in Fall 2019, Computer Science will become a Limited Enrollment Major. This includes the Computer Science (major code 07010); the Computer Science- Data science (major code 0701B); the Computer Science – Cybersecurity (major code 0701C) and the Computer Science – Education (major Code 0701D)  Students beyond their first semester and those off campus wishing to transfer are required to meet the following gateway criteria:

  • Completion of CMSC131 with a minimum grade of  C- (Grade of C at MC)
  • Completion of CMSC132 with a minimum grade of  C- (Grade of C at MC)
  • Completion of MATH 140 with a minimum grade of C- (Grade of C at MC)
  • A minimum grade point average of 2.7 in all courses taken at the University of Maryland and all other institutions is required for internal and external transfer students.
  • Only one gateway or performance review course may be repeated to earn the required grade and that course may only be repeated once.
  •  When more than one course can satisfy a gateway requirement, taking a second course from the list will count as a repeat.
  • Students may apply only once to an LEP. Students who are directly admitted and fail to meet the performance review criteria will be dismissed from the major and may not reapply.

Howard University

Students interested in transferring to Howard University (DC) should take one Afro-American-themed course to satisfy the Afro-American Cluster Course at Howard. These courses may include HIST235, HIST236, HIST265 or HIST266.


When using ARTSYS, the online articulation system for the state of Maryland, it’s important to know that information may not be up-to-date. Additionally, Recommended Transfer Programs (RTPs), while helpful, are not designed for associate degree completion. You should always check to see if we have an articulation agreement or advising sheet for individual schools or majors. If you see a problem with ARTSYS, or have a concern about content, please email

Salisbury University

Students must complete two courses in History. The recommended sequences are HIST116/117 or HIST147/148. Students who take HIST200 would be required to take a second, non-US based history course.

Georgetown University

All students interested in enrolling at the McDonough School of Business at Georgetown will be required to take the Accounting Placement exam. Students should register for this exam as soon as they finish ACCT222 with MC.

UMB School of Nursing

Potential transfers to UMB Nursing should take both ENGL102 and ENGL103; the institution requires 6 credits of writing for admission.  

American University

Calculus is needed to transfer to American; if a student has not completed that requirement, they will need to take a math placement test prior to registering at AU.

UMB School of Pharmacy

University of Maryland School of Pharmacy is no longer accepting PharmD applicants at the Shady Grove campus.

All Institutions, Most Majors

Complete the Associate’s Degree prior to transferring! Having a degree may waive additional general education courses at four-year institutions, guarantee admission to institutions, or expand opportunities for scholarships. Exceptions apply.