Leadership Development Program
What is MC LEADS?
Montgomery College Learn, Empower, Act, Discover and Serve is a leadership development program designed especially for Montgomery College students on the Germantown, Rockville, and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campuses. This 10 week leadership program utilizes the Social Change Model of Leadership Development, which was created specifically for college students who seek to lead in a more socially responsible way and who want to learn to work effectively with others to create social change over their lifetime (Higher Education Research Institute [HERI], 1996).
Goals of the Social Change Model
- To enhance student learning and development and to increase each participants’ knowledge
of self and leadership competence
- Self-knowledge: understanding talents, values, and interests
- Leadership capacity: capacity to mobilize yourself and others to serve and work collaboratively
- To facilitate positive social change at Montgomery College and in the community
- Undertake actions that will help the college/community function more effectively and humanely
The Seven Critical Values of the Social Change Model of Leadership
Students in the program will:
- PARTICIPATE in active and lively workshops with skilled and knowledgeable facilitators
- LEARN leadership skills that will continue to serve you throughout your academic, personal and professional life
- EXPLORE your strengths and abilities and how to use them
- BUILD relationships with academic and community leaders
- GROW as active participants in our community
When is the Program Offered?
We are now taking applications for our Fall 2023 cohort. The deadline to apply is
Friday, September 15, 5 p.m.
Germantownnew window: Mondays, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Rockvillenew window: Wednesdays, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Takoma Park/Silver Springnew window: Mondays, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Who Can Apply?
To be eligible to participate you must:
- Be a current Montgomery College student during the semester you are applying for the program
- Be enrolled for a minimum of 1 credit hour
- Commit to attending all sessions with designated cohort