Leadership Development Program
What is MC LEADS?
Montgomery College Learn, Empower, Act, Discover and Serve is a leadership development program designed especially for Montgomery College students on the Germantown, Rockville, and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campuses. This 10 week leadership program utilizes the Social Change Model of Leadership Development, which was created specifically for college students who seek to lead in a more socially responsible way and who want to learn to work effectively with others to create social change over their lifetime (Higher Education Research Institute [HERI], 1996).
Goals of the Social Change Model
- To enhance student learning and development and to increase each participants’ knowledge
of self and leadership competence
- Self-knowledge: understanding talents, values, and interests
- Leadership capacity: capacity to mobilize yourself and others to serve and work collaboratively
- To facilitate positive social change at Montgomery College and in the community
- Undertake actions that will help the college/community function more effectively and humanely
The Seven Critical Values of the Social Change Model of Leadership
Benefits: Earn Micro-credentials at MC
Micro-credentials are a digital certification that indicate a demonstrated competency in a specific skill. To earn the Leadership badge, students need to demonstrate competency or accomplished level score between 15 to 25 in the following competency areas:
- Assessing individual and collective strengths, weaknesses, as capacities to achieve the desired goal
- Reflecting on how one’s leadership affects process and outcomes and adjusting as appropriate
- Engaging diverse or competing perspectives
- Articulating a vision and strategy
- Organizing, prioritizing, and delegating work, roles and responsibilities
- Reviewing outcomes and assessing implications for future plans
When is the Program Offered?
Mandatory Orientation/Info Session begins the week of February 15. The program begins the week of February 22, 2021.
- Germantown: Tuesdays, 2–4 p.m.
- Rockville: Wednesdays, 2–4 p.m.
- Takoma Park/Silver Spring: Thursdays, 2–4 p.m.
Who Can Apply?
To be eligible to participate you must:
- Be a current Montgomery College student during the semester you are applying for the program
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 1 credit hour
- Commit to attending all sessions with designated cohort