You may use the academic appeals process to request an exception to certain academic regulations (PDF, ) .
The following requests fall under the Academic Appeal category. For all other appeals, please consult the Office of Enrollment Services for guidance.
- Allow Credit by Examination to stand in place of a course taken in the last five years
- Extend the time limit that program requirements may be used for graduation
- Extend the deadline for an "I" grade
- Extend the deadline to change from credit to audit
- Attempt a course for the fourth (or more) time
- Extend the deadline to withdraw
- Allow a course substitution that is greater than nine credits or for non-similar courses
Follow these steps to submit your academic appeal.
All academic appeals must include a completed Academic Appeal Petition Form (PDF, ) , personal statement, applicable signatures, and any supporting documentation. Complete packets should be submitted to the Office of Enrollment Services at the campus where the course(s) was last attempted. Use the instructions below as your guidelines for completing the academic appeals process.
- Contact a counselor to discuss your appeal.
- Fill out the form. Indicate the specific regulation to be appealed. Type a personal statement explaining your appeal. Be sure to provide complete information, including specific dates. Attach supporting documentation as applicable. Provide your signature as the student.
- You may attend the academic appeals meeting to provide clarification or additional information. Attendance is optional. Indicate your preference of attending on page 2 of the form.
- If you received Financial Aid, you must discuss this appeal with the Office of Financial Aid and obtain their signature. If you are an F-1 or M-1 visa holder, you must discuss this appeal with your International Student Coordinator and obtain their signature.
- Take your appeal form to the appropriate faculty member for recommendation, comments, and signature. If the faculty member is not available, contact the department chair. Email responses from faculty sent to your MC email address can be accepted in lieu of physical signatures on the form.
- If your appeal is for more than a third attempt of a class, the department chair's
signature is required. You must also provide a typed detailed action plan that identifies
what you will do differently in retaking the course. This could include time management,
work schedule, resources you will utilize such as the tutoring centers on campus,
study schedule, and changes you will make to ensure successful course completion.
Obtain a counselor's signature on this form.
- Submit a complete packet to the Office of Enrollment Services on the campus where you last attempted the course(s). All documentation must be submitted 48 hours prior to the next academic appeals meeting. See below for meeting dates. Incomplete packets will not be accepted.
- Students will be notified of the appeal committee's decision by MC email within one week of the meeting.
Academic Appeals Meeting Schedule
If you check or indicate "Yes, I wish to attend the appeal meeting" on your submitted Academic Appeals form, your appeal will be reviewed at the next available meeting based on when you turned in your paperwork. Please arrive five minutes before the start of meeting.
Yyour completed appeals packet is due to the office of enrollment services 48 hours prior to the next academic appeals meeting. Late appeals will be deferred to a future meeting.
Meetings will be held in the Provost’s Conference Room, Paul Peck Academic and Innovation
Building (PK) Room 108 on the dates below.
*Students who plan to attend: Please arrive 5 minutes before the start of meeting.
- Tuesday, 10 a.m. -1 p.m. January 21, 2020. Submit appeal by noon on Friday, January 17th.
- Monday, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. February 10, 2020. Submit appeal by noon on Friday, February 7th.
- Monday, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. March 30, 2020. Submit appeal by noon on Friday, March 27th.
- Monday, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. April 20, 2020. Submit appeal by noon on Friday, April 17th.
- Monday, *11:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m. May 18, 2020. Submit appeal by noon on Friday, May 15th.
Meetings take place in HU 009 and MT 607 on the dates below.
If you cannot attend the meeting, the committee will make a decision without your attendance. The committee may also defer your appeal to a later meeting and request that you attend.
How to Attend: Students who check or indicate “Yes, I wish to attend the appeal meeting” on their submitted Academic Appeals form will receive confirmation from the TP/SS Admissions and Records Office, along with the meeting date that they are expected to attend. Students who plan to attend, please arrive five minutes before the meeting commences.
Meetings take place in ST 302 on the dates below.
- Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
- Thursday, October 10, 2019, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
- Thursday, November 14, 2019, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
- Wednesday, December 11, 2019, 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm