You may use the academic appeals process to request an exception to certain academic regulations (PDF, ) .
The following requests fall under the Academic Appeal category. For all other appeals, please consult the Office of Records and Registration for guidance.
- Allow Credit by Examination to stand in place of a course taken in the last five years
- Extend the time limit that program requirements may be used for graduation
- Extend the deadline to change from credit to audit
- Attempt a course for the fourth (or more) time
- Extend the deadline to withdraw
- Allow a course substitution that is greater than nine credits or for non-similar courses
Follow these steps to submit your academic appeal.
All academic appeals must include a completed Academic Appeal Petition Form (PDF, ) , personal statement, applicable signatures, and any supporting documentation. Complete packets should be submitted to the Office of Records and Registration at the campus where the course(s) was last attempted. Use the instructions below as your guidelines for completing the academic appeals process.
- Contact a counselor to discuss your appeal.
- Fill out the form. Indicate the specific regulation to be appealed. Type a personal statement explaining your appeal. Be sure to provide complete information, including specific dates. Attach supporting documentation as applicable. Provide your signature as the student.
- You may attend the academic appeals meeting to provide clarification or additional information. Attendance is optional. Indicate your preference of attending on page 2 of the form.
- If you received Financial Aid, you must discuss this appeal with the Office of Financial Aid and obtain their signature. If you are an F-1 or M-1 visa holder, you must discuss this appeal with your International Student Coordinator and obtain their signature.
- Submit your appeal form to the appropriate faculty member for recommendation, comments, and signature. If the faculty member is not available, contact the department chair. Email responses from faculty sent to your MC email address can be accepted in lieu of physical signatures on the form.
- If your appeal is for more than a third attempt of a class, the department chair's
signature is required. You must also provide a typed detailed action plan that identifies
what you will do differently in retaking the course. This could include time management,
work schedule, resources you will utilize such as the tutoring centers on campus,
study schedule, and changes you will make to ensure successful course completion.
Obtain a counselor's signature on this form.
- Submit a complete packet to the Office of Records and Registration on the campus where you last attempted the course(s). All documentation must be submitted 48 hours prior to the next academic appeals meeting. See below for meeting dates. Incomplete packets will not be accepted.
- Students will be notified of the appeal committee's decision by MC email within one week of the meeting.
Academic Appeals Meeting Schedule
Academic appeals can be submitted using your MC email address.
If you check or indicate "Yes, I wish to attend the appeal meeting" on your submitted Academic Appeals form, your appeal will be reviewed at the next available meeting based on when you turned in your paperwork.
Meetings will be held via Zoom meetings. Students will be sent invite via email. Please arrive 5 minutes before meeting if you plan to attend.
- Monday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM September 21, 2020
Submit appeal by noon on Friday, September 18, 2020
- Monday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM October 19, 2020
Submit appeal by noon on Friday, October 16, 2020
- Monday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM November 16, 2020
Submit appeal by noon on Friday, November 13, 2020
- 2:00PM – 4:00PM
Submit appeal by noon on Friday, December 18, 2020
- Tuesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM September 8, 2020 (closed)
Submit appeal by noon on Monday, September 7, 2020
- Tuesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM September 22, 2020 (open)
Submit appeal by noon on Monday, September 21, 2020
- Tuesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM October 13, 2020 (closed)
Submit appeal by noon on Monday, October 12, 2020
- Tuesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM October27, 2020 (open)
Submit appeal by noon on Monday, October 26, 2020
- Tuesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM November 10, 2020 (closed)
Submit appeal by noon on Monday, November 9, 2020
- Tuesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM November 24, 2020 (open)
Submit appeal by noon on Monday, November 23, 2020
- Tuesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM December 8, 2020 (closed)
Submit appeal by noon on Monday, December 7, 2020
Takoma Park/Silver Spring:
- Wednesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM September 23, 2020
Submit appeal by noon on Tuesday, September 22, 2020
- Wednesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM October 21, 2020
Submit appeal by noon on Tuesday, October 20, 2020
- Wednesday, 2:00PM – 4:00PM November 18, 2020
Submit appeal by noon on Tuesday, November 17, 2020