Skip to main content

Visiting Students

If you're a student at another college or university, you can take classes at Montgomery College to transfer back to your home school. 

Whether you are looking to earn a few credits over the summer, or continue your studies locally during a break from your current school, MC offers:

  • Affordable tuition rates
  • Challenging, high-quality courses
  • Supportive and dedicated faculty
  • Online classes and resources

Follow the steps below to enroll and register. Before you begin, search the class schedule to find the classes you'd like to take.

Class Schedules

We’re offering in-person and online options for classes and student services. View COVID-19 information.

Step 1: Apply for admission

You only need to apply for admission to MC once, so if you have previously applied to or taken classes at MC, you can skip this step.

If you have never applied to or taken classes at Montgomery College, you will need to complete the admissions application
Step 2: Obtain "Permission to Enroll" from your college or university

Submit official written permission via form or letter from your home college or university.

Submit official written permission via form or letter from your home college or university by email to (Allow at least two business days to process.) Please include your Montgomery College Student ID number that begins with M. This permission should include the exact classes for which you plan to register at MC (Example: ENGL 101).

If you do not have permission to enroll, you will want to bring your official SAT/ACT score report, or have your log-on information to retrieve this information from the College Board/ACT website when you visit MC to seek permission to register. Note: Most MC courses have required assessment levels or prerequisites. 

Written permission from your home institution will enable us to override prerequisites and make registration possible.

Below are links to instructions and/or permission forms from institutions that we routinely receive:

University of Maryland System School

Maryland Private Schools

Out of State Schools

Step 3: View the Class Schedule, Register, and Pay

Payment for classes is due at the time of registration.

  • Log on to MyMC to view course offerings, register for classes and pay your balances.
  • Be sure to print your class schedule once you have paid for your classes.
  • Payment for classes is due at the time of registration. For payment deadlines and information, visit Cost and Payment Deadlines.
  • Complete the Advising Questionnaire (online)
  • Schedule an appointment with a counselor to discuss your need to exceed maximum academic coursework load. Requests may need approval of the Dean of Student Affairs. Students are allowed up to 18 hours in a fall or spring semester, up to seven hours in summer sessions or up to 10 hours in overlapping summer sessions, and up to four hours in winter sessions.

Need help adding yourself to a waitlist? Read Waitlist FAQs for more information.

More information on prerequisites and assessments.

If you need help with MyMC, call 240-567-5000, choose option 1 for English, and then option 2 for MyMC.

Step 4: What is a Consortium Agreement?

A consortium is a written arrangement between institutions used to track a student’s total credit hour enrollment of program of study when a student is simultaneously attending two different institutions or just taking a class at another school for the Summer, Spring,or Fall semester.

  • The visiting student is responsible for their bill at the host school (the school, where the student is taking other classes) regardless of receiving financial aid. Montgomery College (MC) usually processed the Agreement within 72 hours, if the visiting student has registered and has pays his/her bill at MC for the semester. 
  • A Consortium Agreement may allow for additional financial aid eligibility at home school (the school, where the student is receiving his/her degree).
  • Note: A student who is just taking classes at MC for the summer while away from home school is considered as a visiting, therefore, the student is ineligible to receive financial aid at Montgomery College.
Step 5: Obtain a Parking Pass

This can only be done through My MC.

  • Once you log-in to MyMC, you can find parking permit information under either; Student Checklists – click on “Get Your Parking Permit” link or, Student Tools - click on the "Parking Permit" link.
  • You will be led through steps to order your parking pass, which will be mailed to your home address.
  • Be sure to have your vehicle registration information handy.
  • Also, be sure to verify your mailing address in MyMC under "My Personal Information" in the "Student Quick Links" section to ensure quickest delivery.
  • It is not necessary to obtain a parking permit in the summer.
Step 6:  Obtain a Student ID 

This may be done the first day of class or as soon as you have made payment arrangements.

Bring your schedule and proof of zero balance from MyMC to the Student ID Office on the campus you plan to attend.

Step 7: Buy Your Books
Visit the MC Campus Store.
Step 8: Request an Official Transcript

When your classes are finished, you will be able to track your final grades through MyMC.
You will need to order an official transcript through MyMC to report your work back to your home college or university.

Visiting Students