Majoring in Media, Art, or Design?
For students interested in media, art, or design, it can be difficult to choose a major. We offer several degrees and certificates in these areas of study. We are here to help if you're not sure which one is right for you.
Some degrees (AA, AFA) are designed specifically to transfer to four-year institutions to earn a bachelor's degree. Other degrees (AAS) are designed as career and technical education degrees, so you can enter the workforce upon completion of an associate degree at Montgomery College.
The three types of degrees offered are:
- Associate of Arts (AA): Liberal arts transfer degree (60 credits)
- Associate of Fine Arts (AFA): Pre-professional transfer degree (60 credits)
- Associate of Applied Science (AAS): Professional career and technical education (60 credits). Some AAS majors have been successful in transferring to four-year institutions based on resulting portfolios.
- Certificates: Recognize successful completion of a small number of courses that focus on specific technical skills (minimum 12 credits)
We have a few articulation (transfer) agreements in place, where you complete an associate degree at Montgomery College and the remaining two years at a four-year transfer institution.
We are proud that Montgomery College is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
Explore our degrees below, and contact a program advisor or department chair to discuss which major best meets your career and transfer goals.
What are you interested in studying?
Find a Program Advisor
- Interior Design AAS Degree, General Area of Concentration
- Interior Design AAS Degree, Kitchen and Bath Design Area of Concentration, Preprofessional
- Arts and Sciences AA Degree, Interior Design Area of Concentration (Transfer)
- Television Area of Concentration, Broadcast Media Production AAS Degree
- Radio Area of Concentration, Broadcast Media Production AAS Degree
- Film Option, General Studies AA Degree (Transfer)
- Arts and Sciences AA Degree, Art Area of Concentration (Transfer)
- Studio Art AFA Degree (Transfer)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Animation & Illustration, AAS, are in Rockville Media Arts and Technologies Department.
- Graphic Design, AFA is collegewide, with four courses in Takoma Park/Silver Spring Visual & Performing Arts Department; and AAS is in Rockville Media Arts and Technologies Department.
- Interior Design, AA and AAS, are in the Rockville Applied Technologies Department.
- Media Arts, AA and AAS, are in Rockville Media Arts and Technologies Department.
- Photography, AAS, is in Rockville Media Arts and Technologies Department.
- Visual Arts, AA and AFA, are in both Rockville Art Department and Takoma Park/Silver Spring Visual & Performing Arts Department.
Transfer Agreements and Information by Major/Area of Study